Meagan - Fort Worth, Texas

Who would have thought that an unemployed, unmarried, and unplanned pregnancy would be the happiest part of an individual’s life? Oftentimes people pray, hope, and wish that things will work out the way they want them to. I find myself asking sometimes, “Why did this happen to me? what did I do?” Yet from experience, I now believe that the best gifts in life are a result of unanswered prayers. The best representation that I have witnessed is that of my aunt and her first child. As she told me about what she thought could be the most heartbreaking moments of her life, her eyes lit up with joy as her story concluded. From this heartbreak, the most important people in her life were created.

Her story began her freshman year in college at Tarleton. She met David, a second year that took her breath away. They spent all of their time together in the four years they dated throughout college. Luckily, they were able to stay together the year after he graduated because he lived only a town away in Erath, Texas. The week after she graduated, however, they began to encounter the difficulties that would end their four years of happiness.

The week after my aunt graduated, she found out that she was pregnant. She expected that although they had not discussed marriage before, David would be thrilled to want to continue their four year relationship onto the next level. That was the farthest explanation of what happened. David’s mother, a significant individual in the city of Erath, refused to believe that her son would participate in pre-marital relations and forbid them to see each other. She convinced David that marriage would ruin his future. Initially, David swore to stick by my aunt and raise the child as a family, but after being manipulated by his mother, he began to second guess the past four years of his life.

As the baby grew closer to delivery, my aunt became concerned with David’s inconsistency to stay with her and decided upon an ultimatum. She told David that if he decided to stay with her he must do what he promised and not continue to switch between being a father and not. However, if he decided to leave, that must be his final decision and he could not keep going back and forth. If he chose this route, she agreed to not make it difficult for him and not to force the complicated process of child support. Needless to say, his mother made the decision for him. He was not allowed to marry my aunt, nor was he allowed to move away from his home town. One can only imagine how difficult and painful this must have been for my aunt as she endured her ninth month of pregnancy alone.

She still cannot deny how much she loved David, but as that door closed another opened. Six months went by before my aunt found someone who made her forget about David’s existence. Her future husband walked into the grocery store where she was employed and they began talking. Eventually those casual talks turned into a date that ended her sadness. Now, that grocery-store date is her husband of fifteen years, and they are still just as much in love. When my aunt described this to me she said, “I prayed for months that David would decide to stick by me and love me; I didn’t think I could live any other way. I could never be more thankful now that he didn’t. Now I have Mike, three beautiful children, and a happy marriage with someone who was ready to be there.” This is where her eyes light up, when she realizes that what she thought was the biggest mistake of her life turned out to be the person she loved most in the world.

Conclusively, with this demonstration I have learned the importance of unanswered prayers. In my aunt’s situation, things had to fall apart in order for other things to fall into place. Had she gotten the prayer granted that she asked for, she would be missing out on the greatest joys of her life.