Francisca - Houston, Texas

I believe in calling my parents three times in one day. It is a ritual that has been going on now for many years. My high school experience was anything but ordinary. I attended, Chatham Hall, an all-girls boarding school in the middle of nowhere in Virginia. As an eighth grader, who thought she knew everything, I was anxious to get away from my parents. My philosophy was the farther away, the better. I thought that 1210.05 miles would be the sufficing distance between my parents and me. I knew that the twenty-hour drive to Virginia was a drive that my parents would never venture. My parents and I were constantly in fights and I felt that I needed to go away. So, as a fourteen year old, I left home. My first year in boarding school was a complete hell. I was known as the “homesick” girl” and faculty members were often concerned. I missed my parents terribly and which was shocking to me. The distance between my family and I was unbearable. I vowed to myself that I would not return to Chatham for my sophomore year but I did return and I’m glad that I did. That was probably the best decision of my life. Because of this decision, I learned to have a deep appreciation for my parents since we were no longer in constant contact.

Boarding school made me realize the importance of my family. Latino families are known for having close-knit families and I never understood that until I left for Chatham. The boarding school experience made me realize that my family was the only consistency in my life. Friends are not always there for you but family is. When my friends and I would get into silly and petty fights, I knew that I could call my mom and talk it out. When I was having problems with pre-calculus or physics, I knew that I could call my dad and he would encourage me to keep trying. Their unconditional support helped me through four, tough and long years at Chatham. Without their support, I think that I would have gone completely insane.

I believe iin family. I believe in the love that a family shares. I believe that even when you have the most messed up family, that family love will forever be there. That kind of love is irreplaceable. I believe that without your family, you’re completely lost in life because family is your guidance. You need the support of a family to make it through hard times. As cliché as this may sound, I know that without the love of my family, I would not be where I am today.