Luis - Laredo, Texas

Luis Lara

Actions speak louder than words

Communication is said to be one of the most important aspects of a relationship. Yet, sometimes what can show more emotion is an action that one of the partners illustrates. I believe in the saying “actions speak louder than words”. Everyone has gone through this situation. Recently, a friend of mine broke up with his girlfriend. She completely broke his heart. For days, she had been telling him that she didn’t wan to be with him. She told him, “I hate you and I never want to talk to you ever again”. The irony in all this is they would become content the next morning and continued their relationship as if nothing had happened. Neither of them saw the picture that they weren’t meant to be together. Late one evening, she called my friend and they began to discuss the situation once again. Though this time they took turns and waited on each other, they both heard and understood each others perspective. My friend listened to her carefully and understood what she had to say, but when it came to his part she completely ignored him. My friend sat there for about five minutes giving out his heart to her. Telling her how much he loves her and cares for her. In the middle of his speech, he was rudely interrupted with the words, “what did you just say, I was on the other line.” Her action of accepting another call in the middle of an important conversation, a conversation that one would think is important, completely crushed his heart. He was infuriated and refused to talk to her. Later on that night she removed him from all the communication software such as msn messenger and AOL instant messenger etc. She also deleted all the photos of them from her myspace and completely erased him from her life. This deletion was a true symbol verifying the end to their relationship. These actions showed him that her actions spoke louder than any possible combination of words.

The juiciest of stories told are always about break ups and arguments. Stories about forgiveness are hardly ever remembered off. These stories can be powerful enough to touch one’s heart. In fact, this one experience I had, seemed as though it was taken from a movie. My girlfriend and I were having difficulties trusting each other, since both had bad past. She and I broke into a quarrel one evening and ended up breaking it off. When I left her house I was miserable and heart broken. I assumed she was feeling the same way, but I didn’t quite know. I couldn’t sleep all night. When morning came I immediately threw on some clothes and drove to the corner store. I bought some roses and headed to her house. I called her to come outside and she did. As she came out, I handed her the roses and hugged her, showing her much I wanted her forgiveness and how much I cared. She and I sat outside her house discussing our relationship, when we finally came to an agreement I leaned in for a kiss. As I touched her lips drops of rain began to fall from the sky. She and I kissed and backed away just staring into each others eyes, both of us shocked. The actions done by me, with the help of the rain, helped her understand my perspective and how much I care for her.

Everyone has had some sort of experience where actions do all the talking, whether a positive or negative situation is the outcome. The smallest action can change perceptions or feelings of an individual. I used these two stories to show my belief that actions speak louder than words.