Mason - San Marcos, Texas
Themes: nature

I believe in growing plants, because sometimes it is the little things that open us up to the greater possibilities of happievess which often get pushed aside in our day to day lives. I believe that this happieness comes, not from the external world, but from some force inside that gets released from time to time through these often overlooked outlets. I started growing plants as a part of a biology class that I took my senior year of high school. I had never given growing things much thougyt before that class and because of this, had never tried it. In high school I was bored to the point of anger. All of my classes prepared me for a state appointed, standardized test, that required about as much thought as brushing your teeth, however, I was required to spend almost all of my waking hours (and some sleeping) at school. This frustrated me a great deal. But then one day in my biology class I was told that we would be growing bean plants to dissect and study. So I put the seeds in a cup with a wet paper towel to allow them to germinate before planting them in soil. For a reason that i am not entirely sure of, the experience of tending to the little plants as they grew noticeably larger, brought me a feeling of joy that surpassed any and every negative feeling that I had at the time. If I was having a particularly aggravating day, all i had to do was go and tend to my bean plants and oll my anxieties were pushed aside. After that section of our class was over, I moved my operation home and started growing a wide variety of random plants, from apples to okra. These little plants did not do anything exciting or exceptionally fun to watch, like so much that we turn to for entertainment, instesd, they simply needed me. And the more attention and care I gave them the more vigorously they grew. Every time I go out and see how my care for the little plants has allowed them to flourish, I lose any thoughts of worries or anxieties. I don’t think it is the plants temselves that make me happy, rather the knowledge that another living thing is benefitting from the nourishment and attention that I am providing for it. And it is for this reason that I believe in growing plants.