Edgar - Dallas, Texas

It was a cold Saturday afternoon and I was playing in an important tournament that could determine whether the scouts for a college team would accept me. There was only one thing on my mind and that was to make a college team, which could possibly get me a scholarship or at least a little more money for college. Then the news came in.

The previous night, I was at a party with some friends. It was my junior year and I was free to enjoy myself after sending my college applications and taking my SAT’s. There were both alcohol and drugs present during the Friday night party, but I decided not to take part in it not only for my health but also because I would have to show college scouts that I could play at the college level. Some of my friends unfortunately did not feel the same way I did and drank until they passed out. My night was filled with taking people home and placing some of my friends in the available guest rooms. After helping people until 1:30 a.m., I was tired and decided that I had helped enough people for one day. I felt like my friends took advantage of me and I just wanted to go home, sleep, and get ready for the game the next day.

I gave up playing soccer after the school season ended. I sometimes kick the ball around late at night to remember what it was like. My skills have diminished and I feel older, slower, and fatter. I did not make any team because I did not send any college a video of my games and I just did not want to play anymore. I blamed myself for what happened that night. A lot of us blamed ourselves.

He was eighteen years old and was not in the condition to be driving. That was my job. He was a star soccer player and a good person. He made mistakes, and his last mistake could not be fixed. Everyone at my school was close and it was evident by the hundreds of people present at his funeral. School was cancelled for half of the day.

Now that I am in college, I still walk people to their rooms or drive other people to their apartments. I cannot let what happened to my friend happen to some stranger I do not know. I am not that type of person. I believe it is my duty as a human being to care for others in their time of need. Perhaps they would not do the same for me, but that does not matter. My belief is that by helping someone, I can possibly change their lives, or save it. By doing so, I believe I can also help myself.