Ramon - Laredo, Texas

I believe anything in life can be obtained. Sure it takes strong will-power to attain certain goals, but nothing in this world is out of reach. Goals are reminders to mankind that there is a purpose to life. Ambition is a strong quality for someone to have. It shows that even though there are hard times and easy times, if you want something so badly, it is there for the taking. History shows that ambition can be used for good and for evil thanks to the work of Adolf Hitler and Martin Luther Kind Jr.. As a first-year college student, the belief that anything I want out of life is mine is constantly in my thoughts. My mother and father are responsible for instilling this belief into my brain. As much as I question this idea, I find it to be a true statement.

A good life is a great ambition to strive for. Especially now that I’m in college, my parents keep telling me that “whatever happens in the next four to eight years, it will greatly affect the outcome of the rest of my life.” Ambition is what college is all about and my father reminds me constantly never to give up at anything, that nothing in this world is free. Ambition is “the key to getting over difficult and painful obstacles. The right choices lead to success.” My father grew up dirt poor in a little rural town in northern Mexico. He was destined to become a farmer like his father, but he had bigger and better plans. He wanted to be a doctor so he studied and red endlessly to help him excel in his school work. As a teenager, he moved out of his “pueblito” or little town, and moved to the metropolis of Monterrey. He moved into an apartment with a friend and held various jobs hoping that some day he would get into medical school. Many years passed until he traveled to Vancouver, Canada to study English. At this point, he had already graduated from medical school in Mexico, but his next ambition was to practice in the United States; learning English was a must. Once he passed the American exams, he gained a residency in New York City and also gained various positions such as Chief Resident. By this time in New York, my sister and I were already born, so a new ambition of his was to raise us and give us a great life. Today he is one of the most respected and accomplished physicians in Laredo, and all of this he gained through his ambition. He is now nowhere being dirt poor and not is putting ambition into me.

My father made my life easy. As a child, I have never had to work for anything and to this day, at the age of eighteen, I have never held a job. I wouldn’t want anyone to think I’m spoiled though. I have ambitions of my own, to be a successful doctor like my father. His life and his constant words of reminder keep me in focus. My father always tells me although my life is easier than some, never to take anything for granted and to work hard to reach goals. I believe in following in my fathers footsteps.