Karalyn - Lake Jackson, Texas

Late one January night in 2006 at about 11:00 pm, I was getting ready for bed when my mom walked in and told me that my dad was taking her to the hospital because she had a really bad headache and was throwing up. About an hour later, my dad came home and got some things that my mom might need at the hospital and informed me that they were taking her to Houston to Memorial Herman to run some more tests to find out what was going on in her brain.

I called my sister and let her know what was going on, because I so scared and did not know what else to do. She got up and drove down from Houston and stayed with me, since I had a contest to go to the next day. My sis and I got up the next morning and drove to the school and told my director about my mom. I was very scared and had no idea what was going on, and I went through the entire day this way. My friends and the parents tried to keep me busy, but all I wanted to do was be by myself, which wasn’t allowed because of stupid rules. So I had to rely on my friends to help me with something that I did not understand. After I discovered that my mom was going to have to have surgery on her brain to fix the aneurism that could have almost killed her. I really wanted to be by myself because I was now ready to just go curl up in a ball and cry for hours, but after I found this out I was supposed to be in warm-up in an hour and still had to get ready to go. I was supposed to be focused on performing our colorguard show but I was so upset about my mom that I could barely make it through warm-up without crying. Again I had to rely on someone else to help me, which has never been an easy task for me. Pam prayed with me during warm-up and it helped, but I was still unfocused on the task at hand, and my team needed me, which did help matters. Each one of the officers came up to me and said, “We can get through this, so focus and do your best.” After each one came up to me, I just felt worse, and more alone. I felt I did not have anyone to rely on but myself, but then one of the guys who was on floor crew and knew me pretty well came up to me and said, “Ok, talk to me, tell me what you are worried about, and let me worry about it for the next couple of hours while you worry about which way the floor and the flags go and the “stupid freshman” who do not know what they are doing. Okay?” Travis had talked to Beasley who knew me best, so Travis was then able to make me laugh. Now, I could at least focus on the show and the floor for a short period of time.

Because I had relied on my friends and my sister I made it through that day of uncertainty. Relying on others is a difficult task, but once one has a reason for learning to do so, friends, family and classmates are much appreciated.