Kari - Hot Springs, Arkansas
Themes: courage, setbacks

How many times have you seen something bad happen to a good person who didn’t deserve it? I’m sure many. Then, think of how many times those good people have rise over them. Again, I’m sure there are many. This is why I believe bad things happen to good people, but good people will overcome them.

About three years ago, there was a very traumatic time in my life. My dad was building an addition on my families’ lake home. It was long and strenuous work and that certain day my dad was extremely exhausted. My grandfather was the one to tell me my dad had fallen fifteen feet on his head while building on scaffolding. When he told me, I remember the overwhelming sense of darkness come over me. We thought we would never see him again. But somewhere in between the crying and grieving, god came in the picture. He gave us a miracle. My father lived.

Another strong example of my belief is the sacrificial life of a soldier. Soldiers are good people. They have a picture in their mind that they would sacrifice themselves for our country and its freedom. This is an extraordinary trait. Sadly, some soldiers die while fighting. I see this as very heartbreaking, but I also see it as a good thing. It’s a bad thing that soldiers die, yet it’s good because they die trying to fight for what they believe in. They never give up and live life to its’ fullest.

There has been one too many times I have seen admirable, thoughtful, and beautiful people die a not-deserving death. This is an illustration that makes me and wonder think…how could something this terrible happen to this wonderful person? But then I think about it more in depth and come to the understanding that everyone dies, and these people are in a much more peaceful place. I derived my belief from instances like these.

People may fall, but it’s the good people that have the courage to get back up again. One way good people overcome the bad that has been tossed into their lives at them is by the support of others. Good people surround themselves with other good people, and when they need to rely on each other, they are there for one another. My mother relied on people that loved us and truly cared for us to help her through the struggle with my father’s life. I think this taught her that when bad things happen in life, she will always have people surrounding her to support and help her.

I see at bad things as courses we have to take to make us stronger and better people. Some people look at bad things as things that are only there to hurt us. Either way you look at it, there is no doubt in my mind that if you are a good person, you will have the support and strength to get through the rough times in your life.