Rob - Springfield, Ohio

I believe we are what we eat. Now imagine for one minute that we are immersed in the “supermarket of life”. We walk down the aisles selected our various foods, drinks, and other goods. Do you ever wonder why you buy those foods? Do you buy those cookies because your sad, or want a treat? Do you buy hamburger because you crave meat, or want to have friends come for a barbeque? Now imagaine for a minute that you are those foods. What would life be like as a quart of ice cream. Sweet and gluttonous, or fattening and needless? I realized after studying in Shanghai last semester, I was picking all the wrong foods in my life. I was wearing a 42 size pant, weighing 220 lbs at 5’9, and was prescribed blood pressure medication at 21 years old. I began evaluating how my life was transformed after stepping outside of my culture, my country, and body and really delving into what makes me tick. I realized I wasn’t nourished. My whole life I have been searching for succinct and wonderful experiences. For example, I would always yearn for the cookies of the world. They are very chewy, warm, and delicious; yet do they really satisfy your need? They are good to have as a treat, but not as an every-day meal. This is similiar in peoples’ personalities. Some people may always be fun, exciting, but ultimately do they help you feel full? I’ve realized that I had to clean out my basket and start over. I realized I wanted to put fruits, vegetables, whole-grains, and yogurt into my cart. I wanted to be nourishing for other people. This new found revelation not only transforming my attitude, but also my physique. I now run 5 miles every day and have lost 65 lbs. I am not the guru on nutrition or fitness. This is not a weight loss book espousing ideals about the perfect way to be happy. All I’ll ask is one question. When you checkout in this “supermarket of life,” are you satisfied with what you buy?