Fatima - norfolk, Virginia

Lying there, my ears more focused on the constant sound of my heart beating, rather than the dim voice of my doctor standing overhead or the beeping of the machine connected to many parts of my chest. A cold shiver ran down my back as my doctor applied a slimy jell to my right rib, pressing down hard enough to make my teeth clench, but I relaxed a little trying not to fuss him out, after all I should have been used to it seeing how I’ve been his patient since I was born. Closing my eyes slightly to listen for that irregular jump my heart makes every so often, instead of listening to my erratic doctor that know better than to do that again.

“ It’s very painful.” Explained Doctor Schneider; my loco cardiologist. I squinted my eyes looking up at him wondering what the first part of the sentence was.

“Huh?” I asked as I opened my eyes more to see that he had extended a hand to pull me up. “What?” I asked as he just stood there chuckling. “What?” I asked again a little frustrated with his giggling.

“You remind me of my teenager, every time I try to talk to you both; it seems that everything I say goes in one ear and out the other.

“I was listening” I said lying

“It’s called Pericardial Catch Syndrome.” he stated. I just nodded, but still more focused on my heart. “There is no cure to it.” He said I almost snapped my neck as I turned to face him.

“What?” I asked a little nervous rubbing my neck slightly.

“It’s that pain that you get in your chest every so often.” I sighed slightly.

“It’s okay, as you get older the attacks get better” I nodded again then I felt it. I tuned him out feeling my heart rate pick up then turned my head to watch the ticker on the EKG machine jump. Then it came, I closed my eyes lying back down on the table wondering when it would end. A sharp pain stung my chest making me freeze, it felt like a letter opener was jammed in my. I couldn’t breath, I couldn’t move.

“Breath” the dumb doctor stated. I just rolled my eyes as tears slowly dripped from my eyes down to my faint cheek. The attack was over in less than two minutes. I went home and laid in my bed thinking. I realized then that I didn’t tolerate people fussing over little things. Sometimes I feel like teachers and students could be more focused on more important things in the world. I know personal time is good, but it isn’t the most important, especially when there are people out there with AIDS and Cancer. I believe that if you have to fuss about something, make it about something important. When I get stressed I just think what I could have and that I’m blessed to have seen another day.