Krystle - Bridgman, Michigan
Themes: family, love

What do I believe in? I believe in “Love at First Sight.” How can I, someone so young believe in love at first sight? I believe it happened to me with Brian, my boyfriend. I know it happens all the time, just some people believe in it some don’t. I think you sort of have to have faith in it, for it to be real. People write songs at this fate, they write poems and stories too. How can so many people be wrong?

My grandparents on my dad’s side said they fell in love at first sight. My grandmother is a year older than my grandfather. When they met, she was thirteen and he was twelve. They said they knew they would end up together. They got married when she was eighteen and he was seventeen. They had two sons and have been married for forty-seven years.

My grandparents on my mom’s side also fell in love at first sight. My grandmother was only fifteen years old when she came to Michigan from Arkansas. She met my grandfather when he was twenty-two years old. Her brother introduced them at the old Silver Beach Amusement Park in St. Joe. They married six weeks later and were married for forty-four years when my grandfather died of cancer in 1990.

My parents met each other through a friend. My mother says she knew something was special about my dad. Two weeks later he asked her out. She said when she kissed him that night she swears she heard bells. He later admitted he to heard bells with their first kiss. My mom and dad got married in 1983. They did get divorce because of the way my dad treated my mom because of his bi-polar. My mom has told me, that even though her and dad are not together, that she stills loves him and cares for him but she knows she can’t live with him. She told me she believes in love at first sight and that her and my dad are soul mates.

As for me, Brian and I have been together for one year and eight months. When I met Brian I got funny feelings about him and my mom encouraged me to ask him, because she saw how he treated m and told me he was the one. I am so glad I took that chance and asked him out because he was so shy. My mom said my dad was also shy.

So how can so many people be wrong about love at first sight? It is something special it makes a life time commitments. For Brian and I, I hope it lasts between us for a life time commitment he hopes so too. So this is the reason I believe in love at first sight because it has happen in my family and me too.