Alicia - State College, Pennsylvania

I believe in individuality. And I believe that currently no one embraces the potential that true individuality really has. I’m not talking about the unique individual your parents tell you to be, and than expect you to follow in their footsteps. And not the creative individually teachers hope that you express in your schoolwork, and than fail you when you do the project wrong. I believe that when someone tells you to be an individual, they are actually saying, be as normal and as much like everyone else as possible. I believe that individuality is not embraced in our society, it is shunned. And yet we are told as we grow up to be ourselves, to be an individual. But constantly this is contradicted when we cannot succeed unless we act the norm. I believe that on the first day in kinder garden, when we went into class and the teacher drew a dog on the board and said “draw a dog, be as creative as you want.” She did not want us to draw our dog; she wanted us to draw hers. And the sooner we figured out how to do that, the better grade we got. Again we are being a replica of our peers, and not an individual at all. We have parents, teachers, peers telling constantly telling us how to act and live. But these are mere opinions and not truth at all. There is no wrong or right way to live life. It is unquestionable to me that the only time I am at peace with myself is when I let down the barriers and show people who I truly am. This is why I believe in respecting the outcast, fighting the system and living by my own standards. I believe in true individuality.