People Desire

joey - Centennial, Colorado

From the time I was very little up to the age I am now throughout my life I have always noticed one continuously occurring theme. The theme that I have seen is that just about every human in this world always wants things they can’t have. Now, at first you may think “What? No I’m not that way” and that may be true but if you think about it, it is true. The most common desire I always hear is people in their 30-50’s range are always saying how time goes by to fast and how old they are and wanting to become younger. Then on the other hand you’ve got all the little kids ages 4-10 and they just can’t wait to get older so it’s like they both want what they don’t have. If you remember back when you were little and you just had to have that new toy or collector’s item that everyone had and why did you want it? Because your parents said you couldn’t and then that one miraculous time they got the toy for you you’d run home all excited to play with it and then a week later it would be in the bottom of the closet with all your other old toys and you’d have a craving for another new toy.

The biggest thing or question I have about this is why? Why do humans do this? What drives us to not like and appreciate what we have? I’m not saying we don’t like anything we have or posses but it’s never really enough and I’m not sure why. Is it because we live in America? Because we live in a wealthy country and have a booming economy or is it the same in all countries? All I can say is that its some kind of human desire and it’s not necessarily a bad thing that we always want more but it’s probably not a good thing either and its pretty much what controls out economy today. I can’t see this situation ending soon and maybe tats a good thing. What would America be like today without everyone buying everything? Would it be a drastic change? Or a small one? Would it affect how our presidents make decisions? Affect how stores and shops run? I’m not sure hot to answer these questions or even how to guess.

Anyway, I hope after reading you can see the recurring theme that the human mind truly does desire what it cannot have and no matter how much you have or how high you are on the pyramid you will always want more and want to continuously move up, get better, and acquire more