Ryan - arlington, Virginia

I believe that art, in its many forms, can transform, educate and unite people regardless of race, religion, creed, nationality or social class. A picture, a song, a photograph or a sculpture can stop people in their tracks and give them a moment to ponder and reflect.

When I was much younger and listening to my parents read me books, I was fascinated by the pictures. Their colors seemed to spring off the pages and bring the stories to life. I could easily see my self climbing over the mountain, sleeping in the forest cave and trekking through the river as the pictures helped to visualize the story. As I grew older and spent hours upon hours drawing, painting and sketching, I found that I could also hold a captive audience as my paintbrush picked up varied colors and I worked them into figures and landscapes. Younger children would watch me for what seemed like hours and adults would say in amazement, “I can’t even draw a straight line.” I vividly remember being with my cousins in Italy one summer and while we could not converse with one another, my pictures could tell a story that we both understood.

As I continually work on developing my art, I am now looking to transfer my inner emotions and feelings onto the canvas, but at the same time illicit unique responses from the viewers. It is not enough for people to say, “What an interesting picture,” as I want them to ponder its meaning, make them reflect on what could be or even remember a time that made them happy or sad.

Art allows me to interact and speak to people without saying a word and all artists look for magic that allows them to “speak” to their audience. Songs that I hear are associated with my memories +of feeling or emotion, specific colors or images and permit me to vividly remember dreams and visions that I might otherwise forget. My paintings are individual time capsules that stair step me through my life. True art takes all of us back and moves us forward, together and separately – this I believe.