Character or Rep..This I believe

Alphonso - Aurora, Colorado

“Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” –John Wooden.

If you asked me what I thought about this quote I would say that this quote has a lot of truth in it, but yet this is not what I practice. Character before reputation is always more important because character defines who you truly are when nothing else in the world matters. Reputation will be with you no matter what however reputation does not always have a happy outcome, for what a person thinks of you or sees you as can change in an instant.

When I was younger I used to play on a little league football team, I was the star running back and had lots of friends who played on the team with me. I averaged about three to four touchdowns a game and the coaches and everybody liked me. I had a group of friends that I used to hang out with before I became a star player on my football team but once I became good I stopped talking to them and started hanging out with the better players that were on my team. One day I injured my foot in a game and the players on the team who I thought were my friends abandoned me, and talked about me. My old friends were the only people on the team who accepted me, although I had changed my character of being a good friend to them just to gain a better rep on my football team for guys who didn’t even care about me. This experience made me realize that I shouldn’t be more concerned with my reputation because only I can determine and decide who I am and always will be regardless of what others may think of me, but yet I did not follow this belief.

I tried so hard trying to make sure others accepted me in society, even if it meant changing the character who I know deep down inside I should be. Not following my belief I stick to this way of trying to please others, putting my character second to my rep. Although what people think of me does not define who I am but if I change my character because of what people think of me, I know deep down inside that the change that I have made is not truly who I am and this will trouble me. For I know that a person can not hide from their character no matter how hard they try to change for the acceptance of man kind. I say this but yet I do not follow this belief.

So now I must ask myself; do I follow my beliefs? Or do I continue to care what others think of me, changing the character who I know deep down inside I should be? I think to myself and say “I’m going to follow my beliefs because my beliefs and my character will always be with me regardless of what others think of me, and this I believe, for now I truly see that you’re character will define you no matter how others may think. So I now turn back to the quote in which I have based my belief and if you were to ask me what I think about the quote now I would say, there is a lot of truth in this quote the only difference is this time I will follow this belief.