Power of Prayer

La`Quisha - Rosenberg, Texas

Moments from now, the dealer will deal me a new set of cards in the most popular game known as life. What I’ve acquired, so far, from this particular game, is the way each individual had his or her mind focused on winning. But like we all know, everyone can’t win. The dealer then looked at me and called my name. I glanced at my hand, which were all aces printed with Foster High School . After I received it, I laid it down so everyone could visualize my “royal flush.” It wasn’t by luck that I didn’t feop out of high school. It wasn’t just by luck that I didn’t end up pregnant at the end of my senior year, like my mother. I believe that it was the power of prayer.

Soon after the summer ended, I began taking courses at my primary choice of universities. My first weekend here, I was invited to parties with friends that I have met. As much as I wanted to enjoy those “stress-free environments,” I worked instead on homework that was due in the upcoming week. Meanwhile, my preference was to finish business and follow up with pleasure later. As a result, I received a ninety-five on an algebra assignment. I’m not bragging. I’m not even a math whiz. I just believe in the power of prayer.

Afterward, I began celebrating my first accomplishment in college: I thanked God and then called my grandmother. She was the one whom shaped me into the young woman I am today, with the help of her companion; the belt. I can see her sitting on the loveseat, watching Gunsmoke, smiling revealing all seven of her teeth. Being unaware, or plain ignorant to the mere fact that this wasn’t all HE could do; I went to my next class. My forehead shone from the chemistry of the hair grease and sweat, as I trotted my way up to Chap Village . I entered the classroom trying to look cool, when indeed I was hot, and grabbed the materials out of my bag. Soon after the ladies from the TRC gave their presentation, my instructor asked to see a few students. The class “oohed.” Only four out of the forty-five was called upon. I was one of them. She wanted to see if we were willing to represent for UTSA at the TxConferenceforWomen this October, hosted by our very own governor, Rick Perry. She continued on to say that we were chosen because we portrayed leadership qualities. I was overwhelmed. Not because of the offer, but because of the power of prayer.