Darryl - San Antonio, Texas

For me, the painfully shy kid with a speech impediment, art was the light that gave me a voice. I was inspired to write poetry to shine the light that art gave me. After a vicious break up at sixteen and the effects of Katrina looming over my head, I began to jot. That year I wrote over ninety poems. Art effects lives through music and it’s expression and knowledge.

Looking for more ways to express myself, I began to draw, play guitar, and write songs. I find the best self expression in music. I look at music as puzzle. The more intelligence you have on the puzzle, the easier it is to solve. For instance, if I decide to use a sample from another song to form a new beat for my music, I will listen to the song and pick and choose each piece that I intend to use. I usually look for two to four parts to sample but I often only get one good piece to sample. Making music forces the creativity out of me, while also upping my acumen and wisdom. Music increases intelligence, thus helping students who part take in music programs to do better in school. Learning music helped me in school and artistically. The volume of which I am able to express myself artistically has grown, thus allowing my creativity to go and come from different places. Being an artist has expanded the way I think. Instead of seeing things as black and white, I try to view the world through different spectrums and possibilities.

The gift of music have given me strong voice: a voice that is no longer only heard in my bedroom. The gift of music grows when it is shared with people. It is almost like a drug, as creating and sharing music has become an addiction. Despite its high-inducing properties, there is a beauty to this addiction. Music does not involve waking up in cold sweats or using arm patches to wean you off it’s power. The beauty in music is the emotions that are evoked from it. Music takes me to another place.

The actions involved in making music are beautiful. When the drumstick hits the snare or when a guitarist hits those chords in a riff to perfection, that is action. The actions made by music speak louder than words.

Music not only spreads knowledge in the sense of playing an instrument or being a musician, but it also does so though its lyrical content. Take hip hop artist Nas for example: in his lyrics he speaks about where he grew up. I felt as if I had been there with him. Just listening to one of his albums told me everything I needed to know about New York City. While I am in the music making process, I will always try an put a lot of emphasis into my lyrics. I feel that there is almost a battle between conscious rappers such as myself and rappers who just say anything with no thought. Every time I make a song it is as if I am fighting; the other rappers are Goliath and I am David.

Gospel music can give people a sense of direction when they are feeling lost. Music will almost move you more than the word of God in church. The lyrics in Gospel music are always uplifting. Also, the lyrics are often very true and can be used as a religious educational tool.

Music has affected my life by helping me to become a better student. My passion for being an artist has helped me see the world indifferent spectrums. The emotions from music are influential. The expression is beautiful. For me, music is life.