Jessica - Uvalde, Texas
Themes: equality

This I Believe…

No matter what we do in life there always seem to be two sides to everything, whether it is family or friends, love, freedom, or even education. We go through life everyday living with opportunities which have consequences that can be either positive or negative. Opportunities come and go in life and can affect our lives tremendously. At times it can change our lives for the better, but unfortunately there are times when things just don’t seem to go in our favor.

With every new chapter in our lives we appear to gain new family and friends. Yes, at first this may seem to be the greatest gift in the world, nonetheless there comes a time when we must learn how to also say goodbye to them. Sometimes saying goodbye just means see you in a few months when you come back to town to visit from college, but there also comes those times when we don’t even get a chance to say our final goodbye because it just came to soon and to fast. One day you can have the greatest friend in the world that you can tell all your deepest and darkest secrets to, but sometimes we may take them for granted and don’t realize that they can be gone the very next day.

It’s the same consequences with love and relationships. There’s the side of love where one can have that perfect someone and living the most romantic life and then there’s the side where hearts can be broken and all seems to fall apart. Love is an opportunity that has its uncontrollable and unpredictable endings. No one ever really knows for a fact whether in the long run things will work out for the better to the worse. Take my cousin for example, he was with his wife for over 10 years and they seemed like the perfect couple. However, within the last few months things just fell apart and the divorce will now be finalized in a few days. This is the type of opportunity that we must choose to take knowing its risk of both good and bad endings.

We live in the United States of America, land of the free and land of endless opportunities; however it did not come free and is challenged constantly. Freedom just like everything else in life can have its positives and its negatives. We live in a land where on is privileged with freedom of speech, religion, press, and a number of other things. On the other hand, our freedom has had its bad consequences. For example of September 11th, 2001 the United States of America’s freedom was challenged from terrorist’s attacks from Afghanistan. Many lives were lost that day and many family members did not have the opportunity to say their last goodbyes. The U.S. may seem like the greatest place to live, but at times the freedom we have can have consequences that are the worst.

Lastly, another opportunity that has its positives and its negatives is education. As many people continue to pursue their education there comes times when we just feel like quitting because it’s just too hard. As a college student myself, our minds are tested daily to push them to their limits. I know that professors give us assignments that in the end will only make us better students and help us in the long run even though at times we just want to throw in the towel. I try to keep in mind however that in the end all the work will be worth it when I have one of the greatest jobs and living on my own. I will be able to be independent and have a career to be proud of because I worked hard in school and decided not to throw in the towel after all.

So this I believe that every aspect of life has both its positives and negatives that at times we our selves can and cannot control.