Roberto - USA

Throughout our lives we face different problems and situations that come and go, but the people that help you overcome this situations are the ones who will always stay constant, your friends. I believe friends are a really important part of each one of us. The friends are the people you can trust whom you know are never going to let you down. Those people who are always going to be there when you need them no matter what. Once I heard someone say that the real friends are the ones you can count in one hand. Sure you might say you have lots of friends but you never know if they will always back you up. Maybe they are the friends you like to hang out with, the ones you like to go out to drink or party with, but are they always going to watch your back?

A couple of years ago I went with a couple of “friends” to a club back in Mexico. We were all having a good time. All of a sudden one of my friends got in trouble because he broke a bottle from the guys in the table next to us. We were at lest 25 guys in the table, all of whom were supposed to be close friends. Long story short, the other guys were about 25 years old. Things started to get messy and most of the guys in our table ran away. The outcome of the fight is obvious, the other guys beat the you know what out of us. Therefore we all got kicked out. We were lucky they didn’t call the police for the reason that most of us were under age and drunk. In this kind of situations you can realize who your real friends are.

Up to this day I still hang out with all of the guys who were present in the club that night, but from what happened that day we all realized which are the friends we can really trust. Everyone makes mistakes, however I believe it takes courage not to give excuses but to recognize you let down your friends and try to make up for it. I believe friends don’t judge you for what you do, if someone is really your friend they have to accept for who you are. You shouldn’t have to act different in order to impress them, or for them to like you. A lot of people always want to seem cool to meet the expectations of other people, and this usually does not lead to something good. I have known people that do stupid things they later regret in order to fit in, or they make fun of their old friends to seem cool. What they say might be funny, but it makes you wander if they will do the same to you later on. Every one has friends although sometimes we seem to forget who our real friends are.