Sara - Norfolk, Virginia

Angels At A Funeral

I came home one February day and rushed to the computer to check my messages like I did everyday. I pulled up my homepage and saw that I had a new message from my best friend, Catty. I opened the message, eager to see her reply to the message I had sent her earlier in the day. However, this message was not her reply…

“Hey Sara, it’s me. I just wanted to tell you that I may not be online for a while because my grandma just died *sobs* her funeral is tomorrow, so I know I won’t be on then, but I hope to be on again by Monday. Well I just wanted to tell you that I wouldn’t be on. I’ll talk to you later.

~ Catty”

I knew that Catty must have felt horrible. I immediately picked up the phone and dialed Catty’s phone number. When she picked up the phone I could hear the sadness in her voice.

“Oh Catty, I’m so sorry that your grandmother died!” I said.

“It was expected. She had been sick and in the hospital for a while now. I told you that didn’t I?” She asked me.

“Yeah I remember. Well, is there anything that I can do Catty? You know that I’d do it in a heartbeat,” I offered her.

“No that’s okay. I’m really dreading this funeral though. I’m going to be stuck with relatives that I hardly know the whole time. Plus I’ll be there until everyone leaves, which will suck even more.”

“What if I came with you so you weren’t all alone?”

“But what about school? I get a couple days off because she died, but you don’t” Catty asked.

“So I’ll miss a day of school. Big deal. I’m here if you need me,” I said.

“Cool. Just let me ask my mom if you can come,” She said.

“And I’ll ask mine,” I said, putting down the phone momentarily so I could talk to my mom. After much convincing, of both Catty’s mom and mine, they agreed to let me go with Catty to the funeral.

The next day I went to the funeral. It was a partly sunny day, which was too cheery for me, under the circumstances.

The funeral was pretty short and, even though I never knew Catty’s grandmother, I was crying right along side her as they carried her grandma’s coffin out to the hearse. Suddenly, the partly sunny sky began raining, as if the angels themselves were crying over her death.

I spent the rest of the day with Catty doing all of her favorite things, trying to cheer her up. We listened to music, watched movies, ate junk food, and did too many other things to count. That was a very sad day, but I’ll never forget the things I’ve done for her, and the things she’s done for me.

I believe that best friends should be there for each other through thick and thin. If one has had a bad day, the other should console them. If something wonderful has happened to one, then the other should celebrate with them. If one jumps off a bridge, the other had better jump in a paddle boat and save the other. Best friends love each other like siblings and are never forgotten.