Art Is For Everyone

Amanda - Arlington, Virginia

Music is my biggest passion. Five years ago I never thought I would ever be able to play an instrument. I was in 6th grade and decided to take part in my middle school band in Yokosuka Japan. I simply wanted to play an instrument more elaborate than the recorder; I didn’t have very high goals. So seeing the trumpet as the easiest instrument I chose that as my instrument. Like anything else in life, the trumpet turned out to be harder to play than I had imagined. As if I wasn’t struggling enough, two weeks after school started I got braces. This made it even harder to control pitches and almost impossible to reach the highest pitches. I was frustrated and this was the first time I had truly struggled with a class.

When I had moved to Japan I was originally supposed to have been entering 4th grade but after a test from my counselor he suggested I move up to the 5th grade. Until this point in my life everything had been so easy so I was utterly confused. The band teacher saw this and called me after class to see what the problem was. Even to this day I can’t think of any way to thank him enough then music is meant for you. Then I realized I did not love the trumpet enough and it was not for me. So he asked to try the baritone horn because of its low pitch it would be easier for me to play especially with my braces. It was a hassle to switch instruments but turned out to be one of the greatest decisions I have made in my life. I could play the baritone and I could play it well.

So maybe the trumpet wasn’t my instrument and as it turns out, neither was the baritone horn. After that school year, when I moved back here to Arlington, I never touched the baritone horn again but in its place I adopted the guitar. Like the trumpet, I never loved the baritone but I love the guitar. The guitar has taught me many more lessons than the baritone horn; too many to name. But the most valuable lesson that the guitar has ever taught me was how to love music. I still play guitar, but I also sing and I am starting to learn piano. I’m in a band with two of my friends and expressing myself though music is the greatest give I could have ever received. But that experience in 6th grade also taught me something else; something that conflicted with what my band teacher told me. That anyone can express themselves in any way they want to if they put their mind to it. Art is for anyone in any way shape or form. This, I truly believe.