“Patience is a Virtue”

Shayla - Norfolk, Virginia

Crying on my bed, feeling like the world is against me. Feeling a sense of frustration and discourage. Seeing all those beautiful cars ride past me, and none of them belong to me is how I felt for most of the summer. I would sit and wonder why I have to try so hard to get something I need so bad. I have never asked for anything big in my life, and I couldn’t seem to understand why things just wouldn’t go the way I wanted them to. I have never been a person who has mottos to live by, but now I have one I will life by for the rest of my life.

This past summer was the biggest change of my life. I was fortunate enough to purchase my own car. As easy as it sounds, it was very difficult to find the right one. By the end of the summer “it has too many miles” was the phrase I heard the most. For days I searched online for the perfect car that was in my price range. I found amazingly beautiful cars, but none I could afford. This was a huge disappointment to me because I was certain that with such a selective variety I would definitely find something affordable that I liked. At this point, I felt so hopeless. So alone, because no one could help me buy what I desired so much. I was so concerned about getting a car because I was getting ready to start my senior year of high school, and I was very eager to drive to and from school. Along with that, I just felt that since I was growing up I needed to start being more independent. As the summer continued, things weren’t looking so good. I could see my vision of getting a car remaining nothing more than a vision.

Then suddenly all that changed one day at work. I was informed about a nice little car being sold for only $1000 at a used car dealership. Being in my situation, I jumped on the offer. That very day, my mother and I went to view the car that could possibly be mine. At first we were disappointed, but “looks are deceiving” really applied here. The car was in very good condition and had low miles on it. The car was a 1983 Toyota Camry LE. That same day I test drove it and was even happier.

About four days later, the car was mine. I paid $1000 of my hard earned money to purchase my very own car. This particular situation defines my new life motto: “Patience is a Virtue”. At the end, I realized that all I had to do was sit back and let nature run its course. If it was meant for me to get a car, it would happen. From this situation I take that I need to always be patient and not to let it get the best of me. When something gets the best of you, it eats away at you because you are constantly worrying about it, and that is not healthy at all. Also, realizing that life has a weird way of working itself out so that it benefits us positively is another obstacle that I had to overcome to get to my newly found life motto.