Craig - Arlington, Virginia

I believe that through friendship and camaraderie anything can be achieved. Progression in society and technological advancements in science and engineering are not going to rest in the hands of any one individual. Teamwork is an essential element of life. Without help, nothing can be achieved. This applies to all facets of life, even the smallest things, like fishing or winning a basketball game.

My grandfather was one of my closes friends growing up as a boy. We shared several moments I will never forget. One of my most treasured moments was when we were fishing in his lake in South Carolina. I had never fished before and was frightened of being hauled into the water by an enormous fish, like the ones I had seen on cartoons. I was only seven at the time and I was not very strong and had a very large imagination. My grandpa and I sat there for at least an hour, yet nothing was happening. The water remained motionless, along with the air and the trees. It almost seemed like time had stopped and nothing was going to move again. The only sound that was present in that hour was the low hum of the flies around the swampy lake, and the occasional chirp of a bird echoing from the distant trees. I think my grandpa had fallen asleep but I was not entirely sure since I was on the verge of sleep myself. As I began to gently close my eyes, my fishing, simultaneously, gave a great jerk and fell from my lap. My grandpa swiftly reached down and grabbed it before it landed in the water. I still, to this day, have no idea how he woke up so fast but in those few seconds he reacted like cat, with all his keen senses working. He handed the pole to me and I began to reel in the large fish, but even with all my energy being exerted into the pulling of the line, I still needed help. My grandpa came to the rescue once again and pulled the fish onto shore. Judging from the energy I had to use, I figured this fish was huge, but in reality, it was only five or six inches long. Even though I did not catch the largest fish in the pond, I still would not have been able to achieve such a monstrous task for a seven year old without the help of my grandpa.

The NASA space station was not built by one man. Michael Jordan did not win six NBA Championships by himself. Children do not teach themselves. NASA was built by a copious amount of construction workers and several designers. Michael Jordan had the help of his 17 teammates, and children are taught by their hardworking teachers. Nothing in this world can be achieved alone. When people realize that selfishness should be replaced with selflessness and egotistical attitudes are replaced by noble and unselfish attitudes, the ability to achieve the impossible is made possible. Incurable diseases can be cured, and incredulous feats, mastered. If friendship and camaraderie are present in everyday life, whether it be finding a cure to cancer or helping your grandson fish, anything is possible. This I believe.