For I Am a Muslim

Rabaka - Arlington, Virginia

I am surrounded by different kinds of people, different lives, religions, and beliefs. They might be different from each other but I am the one that sticks out the most, for I am a Muslim. Heaven is my mighty goal. I pray and thank Allah for what I have got because of all the things I know, many have not yet seen the light and some will never see. Though I might sometimes envy them for how free they are. Especially in America people are wearing and doing as they wish. But I always hold back and say no wait; I am a Muslim who believes in Allah, the mighty and most humble.

There are basic and general beliefs that I follow to head down the right path rather than the blind and wrong paths. Muslim has six main beliefs. Belief in Allah as the one and only God, belief in angels, belief in the holy books, belief in the prophets, belief in the Day of Judgment and belief in predestination (which Allah has already predestined). I follow these beliefs everyday of my life and hopefully, till the end. These major beliefs make me see the power of Allah and help me stay away from doing incorrect deeds.

There are five pillars of Islam that are done daily, monthly, annually, and one is only required once in a lifetime. First thing is witnessing (shahadah) which means that there is no God other than Allah, and to witness that Muhammad is his messenger. Second is praying five times a day which do everyday to glorify Allah. Other obligatory prayer includes the Friday congregational prayer, Eid (religious holiday) prayers and the funeral prayer. The third pillar is charity (zakah). Charity is mandatory for Muslim people. Money should be given to the needy and poor this way, we believe our wealth is made pure. My family and I always give money every Eid in the mosque. The fourth pillar is fasting the month of Ramadan. The fast is meant to allow us to seek nearness to Allah. It’s a way of expressing our gratitude to him and our dependence on him; to atone for our past sins and to remind us of the needy. When I was in middle school I would always question my mom if it was necessary for me to fast and I would complain and say that I was too young to stay without eating for more then eight hours. But as I grew I learned the importance of fasting. The last important pillar of Islam is pilgrimage (Hajj) to Mecca once in our life times.

These are the reasons why I believe in Allah and follow the Islamic rituals. It was very difficult to do but as I continued doing it I learned something new everyday. Also I understood more concepts of Islam and fewer questions about believing Allah came to my mind. This I believe.