Carlos - Hot Springs, Arkansas
Themes: work

I Believe

I believe that working hard can lead to a successful and great life. This can also lead you in becoming a better person. There are a lot of obstacles in the way to achieving your goals. By working hard and staying out of trouble you can overcome the hardships of life.

Having to work all the time might seem very tiring and not the way a person will want to live. It’s the only way a person can achieve their goals. There are some people that take the easy way out. Cheating or stealing might be the easier way out, but it will hurt them in the long run.

My belief is very strong and true to me. My father tells me almost everyday to work hard in school. He also told me he didn’t want me to go through what he went through. When my parents moved here from Mexico in 1989, they were only 19 years old. My parents had me when they were 20 years old, so it was tough for them. They had barely any money. At the time we lived in a 40 year old mobile home. It was very hard to grow up in that house, especially with no one to grow up with. Both my parents got jobs at a restaurant doing dishes. They worked very hard day and night. My family suffered from working all the time. My sister and I would wait for my parents to get home when they worked late, but we would always end up falling asleep. My parents knew they had to work to achieve and support my family. My father, after working five years in a kitchen, said he was through doing this. My parents weren’t making enough money to support us. My father didn’t want to live his life to revolve in that one paycheck a week. When my father made enough money, he went to school at the age of 25. He then got a job as a granite and marble salesman and started making enough money to support our family. My father still worked hard and wanted more, soon starting his own business. He named the company after my sister (Emily) and I (Carlos), Emcar Marble & Granite Inc. My father had done something he worked hard to achieve. Both my parents had to sacrifice for my sister and me.

I believe that my father could be the definition of hard work. He has gone through a lot. There have been many things that ere in the way, like his parents divorce at a young age and his fathers death. But he overcame and stayed strong. We are no longer poor and we don’t suffer anymore. We are blessed to have what we have. I thank god for what he has done.