Hannah - Hot Springs, Arkansas
Themes: equality

I believe…

I believe that everyone, no matter what race, religion, sexual preference, etc. is equal. I have always been raised into a very racist, judgmental family. Both of my parents were raised to be with the opposite gender of the same skin color and same religion. I, on the other hand, am not discriminative and I think everyone is equal.

Recently, I have been having issues with my family because I am dating a black guy and I have a lot of friends of different races. One time when I first started driving, I was giving a black guy a ride to his friend’s house because his car had broke down and I didn’t want to be rude and tell him no. I knew I would get in trouble if I was caught, but the chances of that happening was one in a million. So, I picked up my friend and we stopped at a gas station to get a drink. Right as he is walking out of the store and back to my car, my brother drives by and sees him getting in my car. Of course, my brother called my dad and I ended up getting grounded from my car and my phone for two weeks. Is grounding someone not supposed to teach him/her something? During the time I was grounded and when I got ungrounded, I still had the same belief that I had always had: everyone is equal no matter what.

That was not the first, last, or only time I ever got in trouble because of the people I talk to or hang out with. Another time I received a phone call from one of my black girl friends while I was around my parents and, of course, my dad asked me who it was once I hung up the phone. I did not think it would be a big deal to tell him who it was considering it was a girl. Boy was I wrong! I had told him who she was and that she was only asking about homework, and my dad almost had a second heart attack. I got my phone taken away again along with the car, but did I learn anything that time? No, and I still have yet to learn anything because I see nothing wrong with being friends with, or even talking to people who aren’t just like me. I know my parents will never understand the things I do because of how they were raised and the era they were raised in. To me, that’s not an excuse because my parents raised my brother, my sister and I the same, and I am nothing like them. My siblings see things the same way my parents do, but for some reason, I guess I just wasn’t meant to be like them.

I never have understood how people can punish their children for not having the same beliefs as them, especially when it comes to friends. God made everyone unique with their own special values. Some people may not approve what I am saying, but it does not matter. Who cares if people look at me funny because I am walking through the Mall holding hands with a black guy? Not me because I just look at them right back with the same expression because they will never know how great of a person he is on the inside.