Matt - 71913, Arkansas
Themes: courage, work

Matt Lucas

Ms. Garner

4th period

I believe in courage and strength

I believe in courage and strength in all human beings on this planet. I can’t say for sure what drives the human species when faced in the most trying of conditions and facing the most desperate of times; however, I believe that each and every human being can rely on inner strength and courage to face the world we live in. It’s in are DNA. We as a race are instinctively capable and willing to rise to the top when it is required of us weather it is triggered by a life threatening situation or the need to secede when faced with hard times. Trust me when I tell you that I have seen first hand how the inner strength and the courage of a loved one has prevailed through the dark when we had absolutely nothing. My mother has got to be the best example that I can give of the inner strength and courage that each of us has. After living in Cleveland, Ohio with two divorced parents fighting, a crumpling 4 story house that we could barely afford, and fighting siblings, we had lost all hope. We were barely above water living up there. Everyone in my family was unhappy and constantly fighting for the same old story of how I hate u and u hate me. The mortgage on the house was draining my single mothers bank accounts and causing more and more drama as the house fell apart after years of neglect. It was at this point that we decided we needed a change and took that change when we moved to hot springs, Arkansas. I cant really say we were happy to leave home, friends, and family; however, we moved so fast that we were unsure of what we were doing. We just packed up are stuff and headed to a random dot on this planted with no home, no hope, and no money. It took great courage to move us out of that struggling home in the north to this new place leaving everything behind. When we arrived at are destination we had only a storage rental and the beaten up hotel we stayed in for weeks. What else could we do, we didn’t have a home. My mother looked for weeks to find a house for us to live in even thought there was no one who would work with her low income at the time. Finally after weeks of her fighting we found a house that could finally be are new home. Even that wasn’t easy for us because as we were moving into are new house the previous owners tried to stop the transaction. We had only one chance to make this work and it was about to slip through are hands. If not for how strong my mother was when we went through this, who knows what would have happened or were we would be. She stuck with it and we finally got a place to live. I thank her for showing how strong she really was when the times required her too. That’s is the only real story that I have to prove that everyone has inner strength and courage.