Kate - Hot Springs, Arkansas

I have finally reached the fork in the road. The fork where the easy path with guidance, road signs, and help leading me over obstacles and around pot holes, splits in two. Now I have a choice to make. A choice that will determine the rest of my life. Taking the road less traveled is a dare I give myself in order to make a difference in someone’s life and put success in mine. I believe all success comes from daring to begin.

In the beginning of my ninth grade year, I was living in California. I remember walking in to my first day of high school and thinking that this was absolutely nothing. I mean, you go through all those years of sitting in the front of the bus wanting so desperately bad to be one of the older and cooler kids who sit in the back. When in all reality, they aren’t cool anyways because they are riding the bus instead of driving a car. But it wasn’t like that. It was more like being in Junior High again, only the teachers cuss and the work is harder.

There was an assembly in front of all the seniors. The school wasn’t big, but it wasn’t small either. None of the ninth graders knew they were about to make a speech in front of all the seniors and freshman faculty. I mean it was the first day. The only thing running through my mind was the fact that I was about to make an idiot of myself in front of at least two hundred people.

There were the majority of us who walked up and said nothing for five minutes. They just stood there, which to me is worse that standing there and talking because in this case you have two hundred pairs of eyes on you just waiting for you to do something. They we had the little bit who walked up there and said their name. It was just a, “Hi, my name is So-and-Such and I really don’t want to be up here looking like an idiot kind of thing”. Finally there were the remaining few of us who got up there and spoke the words we were told to speak.

I remember thinking that they would not have made me do this if it wasn’t important and had nothing to do with something that was going to go on in the future. So I got up there. I took that giant leap of courage, strength, and embarrassment it took in order to make a difference in what was to happen in my future. I came to realize the things that I wanted to do in my life came out in this speech. It made me realize what I wanted to do from there on out. I determined my options.

Now, I am sixteen years old, a junior in high school, and living in Hot Springs, Arkansas. As I approach the fork in the road, I have come to remember the first speech I had ever made. I know that this fork in the road is not there to scare me, it is there to encourage me to move on, take the road less traveled, and look only at my obstacles as my strengths. You have to dare to take that step into your future and begin the rest of your life.