Lacey - Hot Springs, Arkansas

I believe that everything in life happens for a reason. I believe this mostly because so many negative things have happened in my life that have had a positive outcome and have made me a stronger person.

One of the most life changing incidents that had taken place recently in my life is my step-dad getting a job as security for a company and moving overseas to Kuwait. My step-dad, Danny, has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Danny and my mom starting dating when I was two years old; they got married when I was seven. Two and a half years ago they began fighting. After last year they decided to get a divorce and Danny moved into his own apartment. He and my mom didn’t talk much, but I still went to visit him and he was still a big part of my life. After a few months, my mom and Danny started speaking again and decided to be friends. A year later, he began searching for a way to change his life and start over. He heard of jobs overseas and thought it would be a great opportunity. So Danny began getting information on different companies close to Iraq. Once he found a few companies that interested him, my mom helped him start applying. Danny got accepted into a company in Kuwait and signed a year contract. Danny decided to move to Ohio to be with his two daughters and his grandchildren for the last month, before he had to leave. Danny moved back to Arkansas after two weeks there. Once he told his daughters about Kuwait, they got very upset. Mostly because they thought he was moving there for good. Danny stayed with us for the last two weeks before he had to leave. The day Danny left, he told my mom he still loved her and always would, and then we all said goodbye.

Danny’s been gone for four months now and still has eight months to go. He and my mom have decided to stay together and try to work things out when he gets home. Danny calls home every chance he gets; he also writes a lot. I believe that in Danny’s case, he didn’t realize what he wanted until it was too late and he couldn’t have it. Moving to Kuwait made Danny realize how much he loved my mom and how willing he was to make things work. As ironic as it is, I believe that distance between my mom and Danny actually brought them closer than ever. If Danny hadn’t gotten the job overseas, he probably would never have admitted to still needing us in his life, and as much as I miss him, Danny moving to Kuwait is what saved his and my mom’s relationship. Although at first I thought Danny moving overseas was a bad thing, I’m now starting to realize that in the long run, it happened for a reason.