Hugo - Hot Springs, Arkansas

Hugo Miranda

4th period

I Believe

I believe people don’t care enough for others. By this I mean people don’t stop to help others and when there is a donation bucket during the holidays barely any people donate anything. At most they toss in a few pennies just because they don’t want to hold on to them. An example of this scenario is during Christmas at Wal-Mart. There is always someone outside ringing a bell for donations to a children’s hospital or something close to that. I was waiting for my mom to come and pick me up. As I stood there I noticed no one was putting any money in the donation bucket. I kind of felt bad, so I went over and put in a couple of dollars. The man said, “Thank you very much.” I just smiled back to him. My mom pulled up about five minutes later. I jumped into the passenger side and we left. I thought about the children and hoped they would have a good Christmas.

Sometimes someone is in trouble and there might be something we can do. Other times there isn’t. But that should not stop us from at least trying to find out what the problem is and offer a solution if there is one.

The least we can do is help out an elderly person with their bags or give out directions to a lost person. Most people however, think it is too much trouble or not worth their time. This is why I believe people don’t care enough for others.