Bethany - Hot Springs, Arkansas

I Believe In Second Chances

I believe in second chances. Life is too short to hold grudges and be angry. We are all people and we all make mistakes, some that are harder to forgive than others. In my experiences, I have found that I have not only done things that disappointed people, but I have also been very disappointed by things people have done.

I chose this topic after serious thought about what beliefs I have adopted from experiences I have had. Luckily, I have not had many extremely life-changing things happen to me. But, the one thing that stuck out most in my mind was when my brother left our home. After graduation, he hit a very confusing time in his life and, one day, left without saying good-bye. When this happened, I hated him and wanted nothing to do with him ever again. If he wanted out of my family, then he would be out of my mind, too. I trained myself to believe that he no longer existed.

He called from time to time but never asked to talk to me. He forgot my birthday and I started to believe that one of my best friends had died and that I would never see him again. But, it wasn’t until just months ago that he came by to visit us and the first thing he did was ask to talk to me outside. That day we fixed our problems and I came to the conclusion that people deserve second chances. He stood in front of me with tears streaming his face and apologized for everything.

It’s very hard for a person to admit when they are wrong. And whether or not they truly are wrong or they have just upset someone, giving a second chance is something that shows the realization of a very difficult thing to say. My belief was very hard to come by. It came from a great deal of shock which led to anger and then gave way to realization. I am now a firm believer in second chances and wish that others could follow along.