Hannah - Hot Springs, Arkansas

I Believe

I believe that animals have as many feelings and thoughts as humans do. I think that they don’t get the treatment they deserve a lot of times, and are totally taken for granted. Animals should get treated the way that humans want to be treated, even if they can’t speak our language. To me, the “golden rule” even applies here.

Over the years, I have seen a lot of animal abuse. Even though most of it is on Animal Planet, there is still something that tears me up inside when I see an underfed cat or dog running the streets or go to an animal shelter. I’ve tried to do what I can to help. I’ve donated to local shelters and volunteered at places that help animals find homes. I even joined P.E.T.A. (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) and became a vegetarian. But consequently I got sick from not eating healthily, so the vegetarian thing didn’t last more than about six months. It just makes me so upset to think that innocent creatures are being treated inhumanely all over the world. Even though we can’t understand what animals are saying, they still feel pain just like we do. They also feel happiness and even loneliness. Just think about a household pet when someone enters and leaves the house.

If animals just had a chance from humans, then the world would be a much better place. I believe that animals have feelings just like me and you, and should be treated as such. I’m not saying we should all become vegetarians or animal rights activists. I’m just saying that animals shouldn’t be kicked around like useless trash. They’re living creatures, as alive as you and me. We should all look at them for the beautiful, magnificent creations God has made.