Kelsey - Hot Springs, Arkansas

I believe that everyone, regardless of age, has wisdom of their own. Have you ever heard the saying “Wisdom is measured in experience, not age.”? I believe in that quote 100%.

I’m only 16 years old, but I feel like I have more wisdom than some people twice my age. Wisdom comes from experience, especially experiences that have a strong impact on the way you live your life. I haven’t had the easiest life, but the bad experiences I’ve had have definitely helped shape the way I choose to live the rest of my life. I plan to the live the rest of my life remembering all of the experiences, good and bad, and learning from them.

When I was a baby, my biological father left my family and wanted nothing to do with my sister and me. So, I started my life with no father until my mom got with my daddy, Cary. Cary left, and I didn’t have a daddy anymore. My mom was then with Tony. Tony wasn’t really what I considered a father; so thankfully, he and my mom didn’t work out. So then, she got with Donnie, who became my stepfather and the biggest male figure of my life so far. Donnie was, as far as I was concerned, my dad. I loved him. After a few years, things went sour between him and my mom, so I was left dad-less again. My “father journey” has been a lot of ups and downs, and that hasn’t been easy on me. That’s one experience that I’ve learned to never forget. When I have children, they’ll always have a father figure, and if things change and their father figure is gone, then I’ll be their father figure, and that’s that.

Everyone goes through tough times, some worse than others. I believe that the harder the struggle, the bigger the experience. The bigger the experience, the more to learn from, and the bigger opportunity to change, and better your life.

I believe that those with the worst experiences gain more wisdom, because situations that are harder to cope with are easier to remember, and have stronger impacts.

Wisdom, as I see it, is not knowledge of books or words or anything like that. Wisdom is knowledge of pain and hurt and difficulty, and knowledge of how to cope with, and learn from those bad experiences, so that they don’t have to be dealt with again.