Clint - Indianapolis, Indiana

Religion isn’t the only thing holding us back.

I believe that religion is actually holding us back as a species. And I believe that that kind of thinking is also keeping us from making life easier and more enjoyable. I’ve read so many articles on how the idea that God’s existence makes is difficult to progress as intelligent beings but, why is it such a big deal?

God has given people of faith the power of compassion and charity and the faithful have led us to many wars and backwards thinking in God’s name. But, God’s not the only one to blame. And I don’t think placing blame on anything is really going to help us at all.

There are many problems in the world. Firstly, property ownership. People think they own parts of the world. Things that cannot be owned like other people. This leads to another problem, greed. When you have something and it makes you feel good you want more so you can increase the feeling. When you think you own a person or land you want more and more to keep the feeling going. That is a very big problem, I believe. That leads to more wars than religion; more human lives wasted and even more suffering than anything God ever caused.

Also, -isms. Racism, classism, Marxism. We need to do away with these ideas that certain groups of people sharing similar characteristics are better or worse than one another if we are to ever advance together and possibly survive to see a peaceful and united future. Until the aliens come and then we can all come together and say “humans are better than aliens.” Then, I guess it would be cool. We are all humans and that should be enough, it’s the biggest group you can be a part of.

I, personally, don’t subscribe to any organized religion but I respect people that do believe just not based on whether they think they’ll go to heaven and I will go to hell. I have respect for those who go out and try to feed the hungry and increase the peace. Those that go out and fight the good fight and give hope to the many without it.

We shouldn’t be so destructive with the little time we have with each other. We need to think of ways that actually help us move on as a world culture and not how to tell ourselves that religious people or black people or fat people are to blame for world problems and not ourselves.

That is what I believe.