Sam - Prairie Village, Kansas
Themes: carpe diem

When you wake up in the morning, what ideas pop into your mind? I know my first thoughts are usually those of anger and irritation at that annoying alarm clock blaring some random radio station to shock me back into reality. Sometimes I think thoughts of regret and anger: angry that it’s Monday, angry that I can’t sleep in or that I’m already twenty minutes late for school. These wakeful broodings are quickly dispelled from my mind, however. Why, you might ask, because I believe in Carpe Diem.

I begin everyday with the thought that it could be my last day on earth. Some might call this a pessimistic outlook: believing it will deter me from investing in my future, converting me into an Epicurean apostle in my celebration of heathen ways. This idea, however, is far from the truth. With this philosophy at my core I spend my day trying to make the biggest impact to my world that I possibly can. I know that my stay on this planet may be short, so why not inflict the most change I can during my short stay here, because, after I’m gone, the only thing I’ll have left to survive me are the acts that I’ve done.

Now I need to present the other blade on the double-edged sword that is “seizing the day”, because presently you might be of the opinion about me that I live my life only to commit memorable deeds. This is far from the truth. I make sure that I enjoy everyday to the fullest. I’ll ignore the T.V. to spend time with my friends and I’ll take risks to live my life to the fullest. I live the doctrine of Horace, the old Roman philosopher, “eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die”.

Live each day to the fullest, take advantage of the time you have and remember, your lineage will live on through the chronicles of the ages. I spend everyday as if it will be my last one here; I don’t put things off till tomorrow and I don’t procrastinate on those things that are dear to my hear: tell your love how you feel, value the friends you have and live life to leave your mark on the world, but above all else, remember, Carpe Diem.