Brad - Grand Rapids, Michigan
Themes: Christianity

What do you think of when someone brings up the topic of miracles? Most people think of stories about Jesus when he cured the sick or when he raised people from the dead. As amazing as that sounds, I feel as though miracles are much more simple than that. I believe miracles are no more than every day occurrences of God’s grace.

To me, it seems like some people live their lives day to day waiting for God to show them that one miracle that will change their life. They want to believe in something but they don’t know where to start, so they wait for God to give them a sign or guide them to the right path. And I find that to be ridiculous. People shouldn’t wait around for their beliefs to come and hit them in the face, they need to go out there and find it, and that is exactly what I do. Every day I look for miracles in my life, I look for the little things. Things that remind me that God is present in my life. Not things that show me God is present, because faith is believing in something that you can’t see.

It’s the little things like getting a good grade on a test or receiving a nice comment from someone you don’t know very well. Or maybe that little miracle could be a good friend, someone that you are close with, someone who you can share things with and be yourself around. It’s little reminders like that where God can be telling you that you aren’t alone, you’ll always have someone down here and you’ll always have someone up there to rely on. For me, it was a time when I was far away from home and I was afraid. There were so many things running through my mind and so many things that I was worrying about. But all it took was an unexpected wake up call at five in the morning with a beautiful sun rise hidden behind the clouds, projecting beams of light that were absorbed into my skin, giving me a sense comfort and safety.

These little miracles give me hope, inspiration, and motivation to get me through my day. I always know I will be able to find one. And the greatest thing is, it never matters how small they are because it will always be able to make me stop for just that one second. That’s all I need, just one second to remind me that God is there to help me, comfort me, and protect me.