Time is Powerful

Angela - Burr Ridge, Illinois

Time is wasted everyday. It’s wasted watching TV, playing video games, or doing absolutely nothing with your time. Sitting and waiting doesn’t help anyone with their future. I have talked to people who never did anything in their lives and wish they could go back and fix everything. They can’t do that and neither can we. No matter how much we would want to, it couldn’t happen. Unless someone miraculously invents a time machine, but I don’t think we are getting one anytime soon. So, I believe that life should be lived and not taken for granted. I

My family and I found out a year ago that my Grammy was diagnosed with cancer. It brought the whole family down, but my mom knew that she couldn’t let this drag down my brother’s life or my life. She told us to live life like we normally do. As we did this, my Grammy slowly and slowly got weaker and stopped living her life like she used to. She didn’t fight for her life; she just gave up and didn’t continue on her own road because she thought her life had ended. She took the shortcut, which was just giving up.

Another experience I had was very tragic. I was at my Grammy’s house and she was babysitting my brother and me while my mom was at work. My brother was 11 and I was 9. I don’t remember much of what happened, but I do remember that I was complaining of being sick and dizzy. My Grammy told me it was probably just the flu. I walked into the bathroom and passed out. My Grammy rushed in and right then I woke up. It was very weird because I didn’t know what was going on. Later in the day I was still feeling really dizzy and nauseous. I had a really high fever, so my mom ended up coming from work. She saw me lying on the couch and she said that I looked really pale. She didn’t know what was wrong, so she told my Grammy to call the 911. The ambulance came and took me to the hospital. It ended up that I had carbon monoxide poisoning. If they hadn’t taken me out of the house when they did, they said that I probably wouldn’t have made it through the night.

This has taught me to take risks because you never know when they are going to come at you or when you are never going to be able to take those risks again. It has also made me think of all those people who never got to live and what they never got to do. I believe that everyone should try something they have never tried before and want to try before their life clock runs out. Taking risks is a major part in life. If nobody took risks ever, would we have any of the things that we have now? It took great risks for all of those people back then to do something for their community and for the world. A lot of them risked their lives to try something new and look where we are today? We have technology, we have education, and we have so many different types of things that some people would have only dreamed about if they didn’t set their mind to it. Even so many people today have that problem. They have a dream to do something but are too afraid to accomplish it. I believe that living life and not taking it for granted will lead to a life that if full of light because it was lived and not just wasted.