Katherine - Grand Rapids, Michigan

Young, innocent, naïve. These three words are often used to describe children. As teenagers and adults, we are taught to teach children, not learn from them. That idea is wrong. Children have it good. They get to color; have naptime, snack time and recess. Beyond that, their lives are simple and fun. Not only do kids it good, they have it right when it comes to faith.

A child’s faith is often simple, but what else does it need to be? They learn songs with the meanings spelled out. Songs like “Jesus Loves Me” and “He’s got the Whole World in His Hands”. The kids often sing in front of my church. You can see that they understand the songs in how they sing them. They aren’t always on key, but they still get the point across. In Sunday school, or 2-5 Alive (for 2-5 year olds), they know the right answer. Who loves you? Jesus. Who died on the cross? Jesus. Who rose on Easter? Jesus. Who is in heaven with God? Jesus.

I was babysitting the other night when I encountered something I’ve never witnessed with any other family. Picture this scene: A dining room right off of the kitchen. I’m sitting on a bar stool near the table, being very thankful that Ian, the youngest of three boys, didn’t throw a fit when his parents left. You can smell the hot chicken nuggets just out of the oven, along with applesauce and mini goldfish that makes up the boy’s dinner. A second after the first bite of chicken, I asked the oldest boy, Jack, how his chicken nuggets were. He gives me this look; his face mixed with shock and worry, and tells me in a very worried voice that he forgot to pray. Colin and Ian, the younger two, look up, and gave me the same look when they realized that they also forgot to pray. They all close their eyes and said their prayers. When their prayers were over, they went back to their meals. What happened in the kitchen that night will stay with me forever. I realized that night that children have a strong faith.

Children know that when to pray and who they believe in. Whereas many adults have a hard time voicing their faith, children come right out and say it. Adults are often afraid to talk about their faith, and wonder what other people with think or say. This is another good thing about children. They don’t care what other people think, and this gives them a stronger faith. Children also follow the 10 Commandments better. They don’t take the Lord’s name in vain, always forgive, love their neighbors, mostly obey their parents, and usually treat others with respect. Children also realize that God will take care of them, with the help of their parents, no matter what the situation.

The reasons above are proof of how well children know God, even though they are young and innocent. Children may not know God’s plans for them, or how to say really long, deep prayers, but they understand that God loves them and will take care of them. I believe in faith like a child’s.