Anneka - Dixon, California
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in living every day as though it were the last because you never know when that day might come. Recently, one of my close friends handed me a compy of “The Time Traveler’s Wife” and directed me to read it. Naturally i obliged, seeing as I’m just about the biggest bookworkm alive. I did not realize, however, that in reading this book I would be opening up a whole new way of thinking. This book made me realize something I had never really taken into account before: Life is short. Truthfully, I’ve heard those three words many times before, but never have I actually considered them on an intimate level. This book made me do that. It got me thinking…you only get one life to do with what you will. You only get one opportunity to fulfill your hopes and dreams. You get one chance and that’s it. The opening line from the poem “To His Coy Mistress” by Andrew Marvell reads “Had we but world enough, and time…” Unfortunately, we do not have all the time in the world. Seconds are constantly ticking by and if we do not take advantage of the time we are given, it will fade away before our eyes. If there is one thing that I have come to realize, it is that there is no time for dawdling. If you want something, you have to reach out and grab it before it’s too late. Procrastination solves nothing because you only have so long to live. This book changed the way I see the world. Before, if someone had asked me what I believe in, I might have said “respect” or “determination.” Don’t get me wrong, these things are extremely important and I do believe in them, but now I believe that there are more important things. Above all else, I believe in living for the here and the now. “Never doubt and never look back”…Because life is short.