I believe in protective older brothers

Rebecca - Grand Rapids, Michigan
Themes: family, gratitude

If you are a guy and are reading this, my brothers Jamie and David might want to meet you. My brothers, Jamie and David, are the most protective older brothers that you will ever meet. They love me a lot, but because of their love they choose to protect me, sometimes too much. My brothers are older then me and very over protective, and despite all that, I love them.

I talk to my oldest brother, Jamie weekly. I tell him who I swim against and that I expect him to be there and to jump up and down when cheering for me. Jamie and I have a lot in common, we both like to watch football on TV and we love each other. But there is something I will never understand about him, his over-protectiveness. He gave me a call one Sunday and started lecturing me on what I could not do at our homecoming dance. It wasn’t the kind of lecturing that you get from your parents, it was more of the joking kind of lecturing, but at the same time I knew that he was serious. He said that he would be calling our vice principal and he would be a chaperone for all the dances that I would be going to.

David on the other hand, I don’t talk to on a regular basis, well not face to face. He is overseas right now, but despite that we still have a strong relationship. We talk over email, which can be hard at times to know whether he is serious or not. However there is one thing he is really serious about, guys. Or more specifically, he is very serious about guys and me. I regularly have to assure him that, “no I don’t have a boyfriend,” and that “I’ll tell you as soon as I do, don’t worry,” or “if I had one you would be the first to meet him.” And he will usually respond with, “Well… make sure you do!” or “This guy better not be a prick,” Its hard for me to know his emotion because we rarely speak face to face but I know that he loves me and that’s why he asks all these drilling questions, just to make sure.

After all these years of hearing the same conversations and being asked the same questions over Sunday dinner, I have come to realize that the reason they are so over protective is because they love me. They don’t want me to get hurt. I have learned this and appreciate the fact that they love me that much! I am also their little sister. No matter how old I get, or how mature I get, to them I will still be their little sister. They do not believe that any guy is good enough for me. They know how guys are and that is why they are so protective of me. My brother David summed it up pretty good with this quote,” he better treat my sis with respect or feel respect from my hand.”

I love them so much for that. I know that I would not have laughed as much during these Sunday dinners when all they talk about is what I am allowed to do and who I can and can’t date. They regularly make fun of the guys in my school, and me. But its ok, cause I usually agree with them and laugh along with them. They love me and I love them. Right now, that’s all that matters, the over-protectiveness, well that’s a form of their love.