Jake - Parker, Colorado

I believe that we should let other countries live their lives, instead of trying to impress our beliefs on countries completely different than us. We do have great influence over the world, but I don’t agree that our influence in absolutely necessary.

When my family was in Nicaragua about two years ago, we met some local kids who wanted to show us a giant turtle they had found on a nearby beach. They went up to the animal, scared it off of its nest, and started to eat some of the turtle’s eggs. My family began to yell at the locals for taking the eggs and ruining the rest of the nest. My family could not even picture that maybe those kids had never known that those eggs were not for eating, so it shocked them. In America The locals did not understand why, so they just offered us some eggs. It was completely normal for them. Our cultures and beliefs were so different from theirs that it is almost impossible for them to believe what we do. It is part of their lifestyle to eat turtle eggs, and unless a phenomenon happens tomorrow I don’t think they will change anytime soon (or without major changes.) We can try to make them think like we do, but it probably won’t happen. I believe if we try to create countries like America out of differences in cultures, then the world will lose its uniqueness. For example, in Iraq, we are supposedly trying to establish democracy so that there can be peace. That is a great goal; however, the ideals of our country are so vastly different than theirs that I don’t think there could be any way convert to a democracy right away or without some sort of chaos. They have grown up with their culture just as we have grown up with ours. They have grown accustomed to it just as we have. Other countries may think their system of government is much better than ours, and it could be, but it would be extremely difficult for them to come into our country and change our whole way of living without problems. As much as we may want a democratic world, it probably won’t happen by means of force. As much as we may dislike their way of living, I think we have no right to change it to resemble us.

I believe that the United States should not be the world police, but rather let the world go on as it is.