Lose the Horn in the Morn

Lana - Hewlett, New York

I absolutely detest alarm clocks. Nobody wants to wake up to those pestering, perpetual, earsplitting tones. I believe if I have a good morning, I will in turn, have a good afternoon, evening and night’s sleep. And how I am sure to have a good morning? Because I don’t have an alarm clock. I have Chloe.

Ironic as it may seem, Chloe is my dog; my tiny, toy poodle. Expert Connie Limon states “the toy poodle is…super intelligent, bonds quickly to its family…easy to train…loyal and affectionate. I believe that “bonding” and “easy to train” are qualities particularly attributed to Chloe.

The morning is a time when everything is quiet and serene; when people are sleeping peacefully in their homes, and the birds have not begun to chirp. Chloe knows she must not let out a single bark, growl, or scratch at the back door. She also knows that this is when she has to do her job: wake me up.

Chloe would scamper down the hallway, nails tapping the floor with every tiny step, hop up my stairs and leap onto my bed. Then, she would crawl up to me; her head low, nose warm, eyes innocent, and tap me on the shoulder with her front paw, a small chocolate minimuffin. She acquired this trait from repeated morning visits with my mom when she was a puppy.

Being woken up by a dog is something others would consider trivial. However to me, it is something that I have looked forward to every day since my family took her home five years ago. It amazes me how Chloe remembers to do this and claims it as her responsibility. My mom tells me that even when I’m not home, Chloe sneaks into my room in anticipation of finding me; she looks around, waits a few seconds, and unsuccessfully goes back downstairs. That is how I know Chloe misses me in her life as much as I am missing her in mine.

I feel piteous that she can’t fully understand I am at college and she consequently continues to perform this habit.

My professor, Dr. Wicks, suggests that perhaps her own “alarm clock,” biologically, cannot be turned off.

It is ironic that most people, who are not as fortunate as I am, wake up in the morning to the loud and irritating ring of an alarm clock, when I wake up to Chloe, who does not make any sound at all. Upon hearing this annoyance, they are instinctively compelled to hit the snooze button to silence the sound for a few minutes. It almost seems that waking up is a dreaded part of the daily routine for these alarm clock-users. Chloe is as reliable as any alarm clock, and one I would never want to hit the snooze button on. Chloe makes me hopeful in the morning. Hopeful that I will succeed academically, socially, and intellectually.

I believe a person’s general mood is contingent upon the way in which they wake up; luckily for me that is to Chloe’s pretty poodle face.