Dhiraj - Atlanta, Georgia
Themes: family, gratitude

The people in my family are unique. Coming from an Indian background, my family is enormous. My father has three siblings, and his father had seven; so you can imagine how large my family is. My family is spread all over the world, yet everyone seems to be in contact with each other, constantly updating one another of what’s happening in their respected homes. This close bond I share with my family has helped me grow into a loving, and overall more caring person. I believe their love has helped shape me into the person I am today, and for this reason I am grateful to my family.

From past experience, I know that my family will always be there for me. For instance, last summer I took a summer course at Columbia University in New York. During my summer course I fell ill, and desperately needed to see a doctor. There were no doctors on campus and my friends at Columbia could only do so much to help me, e.g. run down to the near by CVS and pick up some over-the-counter pills for me to pop. I didn’t expect them to do much, as I had only known them for 2 weeks at this point. I was lonely, sick, and desperate…and then as if an angel was looking over me, my cousin who lives in New York called me! She helped me get to the doctor and get through all of the technicalities of getting better, and before you knew it I was up and running again. If she hadn’t of called, I would have stayed sick throughout my entire summer course and would have had to let nature take its course in my recovery from my illness.

My immediate family consists of my happily married parents, my younger sister, and myself. Back home I took it for granted that my parents and sister were around. I would constantly fight with my sister – little petty arguments that meant nothing, but at the time seemed worth fighting for. My parents and I would constantly banter over what time I should be allowed home after a night out on the town. I look back and realize that arguing over such things were worthless, as I know my parents were looking out for me the whole time. Whilst my parents are in Hong Kong, and I studying here in the states, I realize what it is like to be out in the world by myself, without my parents constantly watching over me. The next time I will see my parents is during winter break, something I look forward to greatly.

I wish to instill in my children what my parents instilled in me: the feeling of responsibility to our family, our home, our community and our world to enable them to leave the world a better place than they found it.