The Face of Racism

Delores - 80247, Colorado
Themes: prejudice, race

“Everybody has a little racism in them.” In my Afro American History Class this was the first time I heard this statement from my teacher Mr. Giddings himself. The second time I heard this statement was from my dad he’s always saying how much he can’t stand white people especially when he’s out on the road.

Every time I heard this statement I’d always just scrunch up my face like I just smelled something funky. Nodding my head in disbelief that he would really think this is the case with everybody. I look back onto myself and I could not find one racist bone in my body. So I would say it’s safe to say, most people are racists to some degree.

I see it like this. Myself I know how it is to be stereotyped and discriminated I go through it myself just by me being an African American women. Therefore why would I make it a point to stereotype and criticize another race, commonly being whites for those of the African American race. But if we as African Americans are accustomed to be the main ones to be stereotyped against and we know how it feels and besides that is not true about all African Americans, why are some so quick to judge based on a bad encounter. It all just seems ignorant to me.

I think interrelationships are beautiful, while others look to it as a disgrace. Me myself I think of everyone as a person not a color that in today’s world the individual is more and likely to be first to be seen by their skin complexion then theirs the body type and then style of clothing. I did not live in the slave days so I am not going to go around hating every white person I see in sight for what had happened in the past and beyond that it wasn’t the present whites of today who did anything wrong as well. It just all makes no since. We should be coming together and if separation should occur let it be something that isn’t non sense over appearance let it be beliefs or something that one individual we all need to look at what an individual did as just that what that that individual did not placing a label and say well all whites are prejudice. We are forgetting that we all are individual people we of course without a doubt represent our culture.

Learning about different cultures and learning different personalities that are presented to me in life. People are just the way they are because of their up bringing, religion, or personal affects in life. And the sooner we begin to understand the human things will begin to get better. The world isn’t perfect in fact that’s where it’ll forever more stand. But racism provokes hate, which leads to inequality behavior towards others this is where hatred begins to evolve. All in all hate is disgust of another that God himself I’m sure didn’t attend to occur only as a test to the people of the world. Hatred to one another leads to deaths all over the world.

I mean everyone has their own thoughts and opinions obviously, but what needs to realized is a far bigger picture. I’m use to hearing all the racial jokes and comments about my own and more. I choose not to jump on a person when I hear them say the N word which is thrown around today even more so with our African American community. I choose not to get offensive besides the fact that it’s a word that doesn’t faze me because I know they obviously are just ignorant to the word and what it really means or they just feel hate. And if I were to attack or try and educate one for not using the word what is to say they won’t say it again. Besides that, whites back in the days of slavery would say Nigga just as often as blacks say it today. But their thinking we’ve changed the original word to a positive since it seems the word isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Nothing has changed.

We have our little debates in class from time to time. And I really just sit back and observe and listen and it’s all just so funny to me because they aren’t going on anything based on hard standing facts that say all whites are all bad and no good for and to the African American community. Usually when you set yourself to hate another, I can see some just don’t take the time to explore and experience other races and what not, to see what the persons really about.

I lived on 20th Perry with my little sister and my mother up until about a few months ago, and we lived in a neighborhood of mostly white folks and a spotted handful of Hispanics here and there. No problems I didn’t feel weird left out, uncomfortable, or even that I didn’t belong. Until the day my sister had ridden her bike on the lawn of a white male’s lawn just across the street from us the story was that she just simply caught herself swerving into the street a little so she had to come back over. The thing that got me was how vain he was when he just start yelling and fussing out at her that’s when I had came outside and all the word he kept spitting out all I heard was that word that stuck out like a hitchhiker trying to catch a ride. All I thought was I had a feeling that he didn’t respect us as individuals because we are black. And what he did then said it loud and clear for me. He knows what the word means he was an old guy who I’m sure knows better but I rather not blame him he was taught this way or he had a bad experience I guess you could say thinking like this keeps my mind at ease.

However the statement Mr. Giddings claims is wrong, not all people are racist. I’m proof of this. Over all it could be what our good and bad we expect everyone else to also be that their different structure as a different individual. Race is just a colored complexion of the face just another add on to the physical appearance of who we are.