Star Gazing

Angela - Norfolk, Virginia
Themes: love

I fell in love. Its strange summing up all of those feelings, actions, personal jokes, even a secret language in those four little words. Matthew and I didn’t know each other well at the beginning, which was sad because we had worked together for the two previous summers. But we started this summer with a blanket on a picnic table and stargazing, we found we both enjoyed looking at the millions of stars lit up at twilight and enjoyed them even more with each other for company. We stayed up for hours talking about things we didn’t know about each other or old camp memories from previous summers. Over the summer, stargazing went hand in hand with the development of our friendship and later relationship; we had our most revealing conversations, shared our most hopeful of dreams with each other while the stars were out sharing our moments with us and discovered that many of those dreams were the same. Matthew and I went from the beginnings of a friendship to the deepest relationship I’ve ever had with anyone, our conversations went from asking each other what our favorite whatever’s were to how we saw ourselves together when we were old and gray and how our house would look, we both agreed on a big log cabin….

“The living room, dining room, and kitchen would all be big one open space, but of course the kitchen would be huge…” Matthew began, he loves everything culinary

“…there would be bookshelves everywhere for my massive amount of books, which I edited…” since I’m going to work at a publishing house after college.

“…and there would be a room for an inside pool….” He said adding on to our “dream” house smiling, thinking about our future. Those were some of my favorite conversations we had, saying how we wanted to spend our time with one another in the future It seemed that in a matter of weeks, we had made up for years of lost time. We had so many inside jokes from all the silly stuff we said in front of each other and symbols, like the apple, coming one night of laughing and throwing apple pieces at each other, it later came to symbolize how we felt about each other, and our secret language where our words didn’t mean what they were supposed too. Count in the amount of letter writing we did and it seemed that time had never skipped a beat between us. It seemed that our friendship didn’t want to end and the way our friendship developed into something more was amazing. The relationship almost evolved on its own and it was almost as if Matthew and I were just along for the incredible ride. We both agreed that if something happened, it happened, and from there everything between us grew and grew and is still growing. Life is unexpected and my unexpected is wonderful; this is what I believe.