Kendra - Norfolk, Virginia

A sweet-soaked large Starbucks shirt, and hot black slacks with previous stains of dried steam-milk and mocha, to match. My mind was racing, I couldn’t believe what I did. How could I be so stupid? It was September 12, 2007 a day, unfortunately that will stick in my memory until I’m old and gray.

The day started off as normal, me being late for work rushing trying to catch a whiff of all the green lights that I approach in my path. As I arrived at Starbucks in MacArthur Mall, I realized of course, that I was 5 minutes late. My work day ended normally, and I was satisfied with my job as a Starbucks employee.

“Kendra, you got everything you need?” asked my supervisor, Jasmine.

“Yeah” I replied.

Well, I thought I had everything until I was walking down the dreary, ill-lighted hallway and realized I didn’t have my keys. I ran back to Starbucks and alerted Jasmine, and we both searched for my keys in the store, but didn’t find them. I was in an ultimate panic, this wasn’t the first time I’ve lost one of my most “prized possessions”. I ran frantically up the escalator to the food-court level and jogged back by the security office. As I panted repeatedly I innocently asked the security guard if anyone turned in lost keys. She asked me, grinning, what kind of keys, as to reassure herself that they were truly mine. Pant-free I described by butterfly imprinted house key that’s also on my keychain. She gave me my keys, but what she told me afterwards was something I couldn’t believe. She told me, smiling might I add, that a customer turned them in replying that I left my keys in my car door. I was so shocked that all I could do was praise Jesus that they didn’t steal my car. I ran to my car not only heavy-footed but heavy-hearted. As I sat into the drivers seat I immediately realized my I-pod wasn’t in its usual spot. I just shrugged it off, thinking to myself its probably in my apron. I arrived at home and realized in fact it wasn’t there, and that’s when reality set in. It seems that the “good Samaritan” didn’t want my car, just my I-pod. My I-pod, my sweet-sweet I-pod. I love music so losing my I-pod was the worst.

All my life I’ve been a forgetful person, and I’ve learned to be content with that, its just the odd part of feeling insane in between. Looking back on the situation I think it was a wake-up call for me to learn to be more responsible and less forgetful. Although I’m used to losing my most precious items, the feeling of insecurity and stupidity never seem to lack. But I’ve learned not to worry as much like I use to, things are just that things. They have no sentimental value or I wouldn’t be able to replace them. I’ve also learned that stressing the little things in life can cause you unnecessary turmoil. Avoiding unnecessary stress is inevitable, everyone is going to fall off the deep-end at least once. But until then I’m not going to sweat the small stuff.