Skipping School

Austin - Norfolk, Virginia
Themes: place, pleasure

The bell to switch classes rings and my fellow students file out into the cramped hallways. This is my opportunity. Down the long hall, through the crowd of people, are the doors to the outside world. The doors to freedom. My friend and I make our way to the doors and before taking the plunge, quickly look around to see if anyone of any significant authority is watching. We’re in the clear. We push the doors open, leave school, and enter the free world again. But we’re not safe yet. The threat of being caught lurks around every corner. An intoxicating rush of adrenaline urges us to move quickly, very quickly, to the student parking lot. We make it to the car, get inside, and escape, unnoticed. We’ve just skipped school. Again.

The age old tradition of skipping school has no doubt existed almost as long as the education system itself. School administrators wage a constant war against mysteriously absent students. If caught skipping, punishment can be harsh and unforgiving. Yet almost every student has done it at least once. Why is skipping school so popular? The answer is quite simple: skipping is a liberating, exciting, and fulfilling experience. Monday through Friday, students all over the country are herded into small classrooms, endure uncomfortable desks for hours at a time, and listen to pointless intercom announcements. Thus it is unsurprising that we students develop a thirst for freedom. So we quench that thirst at Dog N’ Burger during lunch period. Or by deciding that we would much rather go see that new movie then go to our last class, or by simply taking the entire day off to enjoy some time to yourself. Now, I’m not saying you should skip school every day. Education is undeniably important, and we as American citizens are fortunate to be provided with one for free. But everybody could use a little break every once in a while.

Another appeal of skipping school is that it is instrumental in discovering who “you” really are. Not going to class permits us as students to grow as individuals by allowing us to make choices. For example, it gives us the option to choose between Wendy’s and Taco Bell. The option of spending a day at the beach with friends or going to the mall. And it gives us the option of simply deciding were too tired to learn today, and that going home and going back to sleep would be a much better use of time. In a society where students are overloaded with homework and information, skipping school affords us a precious chance to kick back, relax, and most importantly, enjoy being a kid. Whatever you decide to do, the result is always the same: no matter what it is you choose to do with your day off, you will always have the satisfying knowledge that everybody else is a bunch of suckers because they’re still in school. The world is yours for the day, and you made that choice.