Ying - ATLANTA, Georgia
Themes: place

The value of trifles

Once, I have watched a plastic bag dancing in the wind for 5 minutes. Before a storm, the wind was fierce. The white plastic bag was dancing and swirling fervently with a bunch of fallen leaves in the wind. The shape of the bag was changing with the direction of the wind. Sometimes the bag fell on ground, and then blew into the sky by the wind. Sometimes the bag flew so high that I could barely see it, and then the wind blew it back to me. This may not make any sense to you. But I think this is the real beauty, the changing formation of the bag, another project done by nature.

Life is full of such beauty. People ignore such trifles in their fast-paced life, because they think these insignificant things are valueless. However, I believe in the value of trifles. These insignificant things will surprisingly provoke my feelings, and then they are no longer valueless, because they carry my feeling and become special. It is the trivial things that made me see the beauty of nature, and more importantly, made me understand myself better.

I have left my hometown and moved to this new country for 2 months. Once in my dorm, I added some sauce of spice from my hometown in the instant noodles I just made. When I peeled off the seal of the bowl, I was overcome with an acute nostalgia for my days in home. The feeling were surged by the smell of the spice, the smell of home. I am from the city, Chengdu, China, famous for the spicy dish called ‘Hot-pot’. A big container is filled with soup, Chinese prickly ash and the most important special spice only grown in the my hometown. After boiling, the color of the soup turns red because of the spice. Then you can put the raw meat and vegetable in the container to cook for several minutes and then enjoy the spicy meal. Afterward, the room is filled with the aroma of spice, strong, but pleasant. My mom always made hot-pot on the Chinese new year for family uninion. We sat around the table, and in the middle was the big container on the stove, boiling with tons of steam rising from it. Everytime I was so euphoric that I had the chance to talk to my parents for a long time, because usually they were so busy with their work that we could barely see each other. While the outside was freazing, sometimes even snowing, the whole house was warm and filled with the aroma of the spice. In my mind, the whole house was filled with the smell of love.

All these scenes instigated by the smell of the spice moved quickly in front of my eyes like playing a movie. I could see my parents’ faces and their eyes looking at me, full of concerns, like they were asking me ‘How are you there? Take care of yourself. You are on your own now.’ At that moment, tears fell from my eyes without a sound. The trifles in my daily life gave me a chance to review my life. They let me know that the love between my parents and I gave me the faith to live in another country independently. I believe in the value of trifles.