Nicole - Chicago, Illinois
Themes: integrity

I believe in the power of a lie. Lies can make somebody’s day better, and lies can tear somebody’s world apart. Lies can be twisted to make someone smile, while the truth cannot be changed to meet someone’s needs. If a loved one is killed in a brutally painful accident, a lie can formulate the belief that they felt no pain. The truth cannot do that. Worse pain is felt knowing the truth. Lies are ignorance, and ignorance is bliss.

I believe that a lie is far more powerful than the truth. A lie can be fitted, tailored like a suit. A lie can wrap around a person’s life to adjust to his or her own convenience. Getting fired because the company is going bankrupt is better than hearing you’re an incompetent ass. Lies are a justification to make you feel better, and there’s nothing wrong with feeling better.

I believe that gasoline is to a car as belief is to a lie. Lies can be fueled. Lies can transform. Lies are liquid. The truth is solid.

“I drank on the job and I spilled Merlot on your white carpet.” …I mean,

“The cat knocked the wine bottle over and it broke. I was upstairs reading a bedtime story to the baby”

I believe that lies create smiles while the truth draws tears. A lie can be beautifully distracting, while the truth bears no mercy.

“I think of you more like a brother figure,” feels better than hearing “you’re horrible in bed.”

I would like to meet the person who conjugated the phrase “honesty is the best policy.” I believe whoever said that must’ve been a bad liar. I believe a lie is a butterfly, while the truth remains a caterpillar. A lie can soar, while the truth is confined to its cocoon. However, I believe that if the truth is convoluted, it might just be lucky enough to break out of its shell.

I believe that after a while, the line between lies and the truth becomes hazy. I believe that people can eventually start to confuse their own lies for the truth. I believe nothing I wrote in this entire essay. I believe in the power of a lie.