“Dare To Dream”

Kathleen - Denver, Colorado
Themes: death, family, hope

When I was a little, I would sit in bed dreaming and hoping that someday I would be a princess. I would wear my Dorothy shoes around the house and watch Cinderella multiple times a day. I am now almost sixteen years old and when life doesn’t seem to turn out exactly as I planned, the best I can do is close my eyes and hope to be a princess.

As, most everyone knows, life isn’t easy, but it is what we do with the events and experiences we are given along with the dreams we choose to pursue that shape who we are. Perhaps, the dream of someday becoming a princess is unrealistic, and maybe even a little juvenile, but who said dreams have guidelines?

Six years ago on August 10th, my family and I experienced a horrible tragedy, my father who was only 48 at the time, was killed in a car accident. It seemed as though, no matter how many people were around me, I would always be alone. The death of my father was so devastating to me that in everything I saw there was only sadness, and in every laugh there was the slight hint of a cry. Everything I had once thought to be important now merely seemed burdensome, and inside I felt hollow. So I did what I always did when life went wrong. I closed my eyes, now tighter than ever, praying that instead of the picture of me as a princess, there would now be a picture of my dad, and there he stood.

With my dreams came hope. I would see my father every night smiling and laughing as he had only weeks before. I knew that when I woke up reality would once again come crashing down, but at the time, my greatest desires were reality. Although life would most certainly be different now, my dreams allowed me to see a future where my family and I would someday be happy again, and my father’s death, although a huge part of us all, wouldn’t define our lives.

Dreams destroy barriers that we set for ourselves they make impossible tasks seem possible and to this day I believe that in desperate times dreams are what make you fight on. Without the possibility to close my eyes every night and see and talk to my father, it would be much easier for me as well as the rest of my family to lose hope. I believe that dreams are what give us the strength to carry on. I believe that dreams can make even the most difficult situations seem bearable, but most of all I believe our dreams can take us back to happier times.